Windows Firewall is a Microsoft Windows app that rectifies the information coming to your device from the net by blocking harmful programs. Initially, it was included in the Windows XP and Windows Server. Windows Firewall is a silent tool that keeps our systems safe from all types of network threats. It has been included in each version of Windows for last decade. As it is a silent ally that performs most of its work in the background, only a few users interact with it on regular basis. Even fewer know what this tool is and how does it work.
Many of the users are interested in either enabling it or disabling it. Some of the users want to utilize a different firewall, and some of them have turned it off by accident. Choose your version of Windows to get started.
Windows 8 and 10
Both Microsoft Windows 8 and 10 come with already installed firewall utility. It may be disabled by default. Follow the below steps to enable or disable this feature in these Windows versions.
Enabling Windows 8 or 10 firewall
Only a single software firewall should be enabled at a time If some other systems are also there, then make sure to disable them first.
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Tap on System and Security.
- Tap on the Windows Firewall.
- If Firewall is disabled, Windows Firewall state will be off.
- To turn it on, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off in the left Navigation Pane.
Disabling the Windows 8 or 10 Firewall
Try not to disable your Windows Firewall unless you are fixing an issue. If you have made your mind to disable firewall because a program cannot access your computer or Internet, then try to allow the program through the firewall first.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on Windows Firewall.
- If the Firewall is enabled, the Firewall state will be on.
- If you want to turn it off, tap on turn Windows Firewall on or off in the left navigation pane.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall and press OK in the Customize Settings.